2nd Regiment, Kansas InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 2nd Regiment, Kansas Infantry was organized at Lawrence for three months May, 1861 and mustered in at Kansas City June 20, 1861. It mustered out October 31, 1861.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 2nd Regiment Infantry, (accesssed 22 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 2nd Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 27 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
The 2nd Regiment consisted of companies that included men from Atchison, Bourbon, Brown Doniphan, Chase, Johnson, Miami, Linn, Lyon, Osage, Shawnee and Wyandotte counties.Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
2nd Kansas Infantry rosters
- Field and Staff Officers
- Non-Commissioned Staff
- Company A - Many men from Shawnee County
- Company B - Many men from Riley County
- Company C - Many men from Johnson County
- Company D - Many men from Douglas County , Osage County
- Company E - Many men from Anderson County
- Company F - Many men from Lincoln County
- Company G - Many men from Lincoln County
- Company H - Many men from Lyon County
- Company I
- Company K
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Kansas in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Kansas in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Kansas, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Crawford, Samuel J. Kansas in the sixties. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084545 and (Chicago, Illinois : A.C. McClurg, 1911), FHL book 978.1 H2cr
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2014, at 18:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,877 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki