31st Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Terre Haute, Indiana, and mustered in September 15, 1861. Duty at Green Lake and San Antonio, Texas till December. Mustered out December 8, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit,see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 31st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 4 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 31st Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 55
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 31th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 31st Indiana Volunteer Infantry (accessed 08 Dec 2010) History, biographies, roster (Company A-K and unassighed, coutry are not given), Flag, etc., of 31th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
- Company "A", 31th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (accessed 03 Jan 2011) Roster
- Company "B", 31th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (accessed 03 Jan 2011) Roster .
- Company "K", 31th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (accessed 03 Jan 2011) Roster
- Smith, John Thomas. A History of the Thirty-First Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry in the War of the Rebellion. (Cincinnati: Western Methodist book concern, 1900. ) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084383 (4 fiche)FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE Google books
- This page was last modified on 23 June 2012, at 00:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,485 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More