37th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Lawrenceburg, Indiana, and mustered in September 18, 1861. It was ordered to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 20 and Grand Review May 24. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky, June, and there mustered out July 25, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 37th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 4 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 37th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Ripley County - see Roster on page 173
- Company A - Reorganized Soldiers - from Ripley, Rush, Porter, and Dearborn counties - see Roster on page 189
- Company B - many men from Franklin County -see Roster on page 175
- Company B - Reorganized Soldiers - from Franklin, and Jennings counties - see Roster on page 190
- Company C - many men from Jennings County - see Roster on page 176
- Company D - many men from Ripley County - see Roster on page 178
- Company E - many men from Decatur County - see Roster on page 179
- Company F - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 181
- Company G - many men from Franklin County - see Roster on page 182
- Company H - many men from Decatur County - see Roster on page 184
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 185
- Company K - many men from Rush County - see Roster on page 187
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 188
- unassiged recuits - Reorganized Soldier - see Roster on page 192
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 37th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 37th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipendia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 37th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Hughes, Frank (Lt.), "Diary of Lieutenant Frank Hughes", (ed. Norman Niccum, Indiana Magazine of History 45, no. 3 (September 1949): 275-284)1862, Decatur County (Adams), 37th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. E Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 7 Apr 2011)
- Puntenney, George H. History of the Thirty-Seventh Regiment of Indiana Infantry Volunteers; Its Organization, Campaigns, and Battles--Sept. '61-Oct. '64. (Rushville, Ind: Jacksonian Book and Job Department, 1896.) FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE (accessed 7 Apr 2011) Google books
- Shook, Hezekiah. Address Delivered on the Occasion of the 2nd Annual Reunion of the 37th Indiana Vols. Infty. at Greensburg, Ind., Sept. 19, 1878.( Indianapolis: Central Print. Co, 1879.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084388 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other library the free encyclopedia
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:37.
- This page has been accessed 2,180 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News