3rd Battalion, Georgia Sharpshooters (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Battalion, Georgia Sharpshooters was organized during the spring of 1863 with men who transferred from other Georgia units and those recruited in Richmond and Gwineet counties. Later, this battalion was assigned to General Wofford's Brigade and then was part of Early's operations in the Shenandoah Valley. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Copy of some Georgia Regiment muster roster (hand written) GeorgiaArchives.org
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 9 January 2015, at 01:04.
- This page has been accessed 1,154 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More