3rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry was assembled at Augusta, Georgia, in April, 1861. It surrendered in April, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see Roster on page 437 (History page 440)
- Company A (Burke Guards) Burke County - see Roster on page 440; USGENWEB
- Company B (Brown Rifles) Putnam County - see Roster on page 448; USGENWEB
- Company C (Dawson Grays) Greene County - see Roster on page 457; USGENWEB
- Company D (Madison Home Guards) Morgan County - see Roster on page 466 (History page 475); USGENWEB
- Company E (Governor's Guard) Houston County - see Roster on page 476; USGENWEB
- Company F (Wilkinson Rifles) Wilkinson County - see Roster on page 485; USGENWEB
- Company G (Confederate Light Guards) Richmond County - see Roster on page 494; USGENWEB
- Company H (Young Guards) Newton County - see Roster on page 506; USGENWEB
- Company I - Richmond County - see Roster on page 515; USGENWEB
- Company I (Carswell Guards) Wilkinson County see Roster on page 524; USGENWEB
- Company K (Athens Guards) Clarke County - see Roster on page 534; USGENWEB
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Cobb, Angela W. Roster of the Confederate Soldiers of Burke County, Georgia 1861-1865. (Baltimore, Maryland : Gateway Press, c1998), FHL book 978.865 M2c
- Snead, Claiborne. Address by Col. Claiborne Snead at the reunion of the Third Georgia Regiment, at Union Point, on the 31st July, 1874 : history of the Third Georgia Regiment, and the career of its first commander, Gen. Ambrose R. Wright. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082359
- This page was last modified on 12 August 2014, at 14:46.
- This page has been accessed 1,491 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page