3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized the the fall of 1863 from the 15th Cavalry Battalion and three independent companies. Part of the Red River Campaign and Harrison's Brigade. Fought in Arkansas in September and October of 1864, then returned to the Monroe area. The unit saw little combat after January 1865. Many men deserted and returned to their farms. The remaining men surrendered May 26, 1865 in the Monroe area.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A – many men from Tensas Parish.
- Company B – many men from Madison Parish.
- Company C – many men from Caldwell Parish. Also known as Faulkner's or Caldwell Defenders.
- Company D – many men from Cathoula Parish.
- Company E – many men from Catahoula Parish.
- Company F – many men from Morehouse Parish.
- Company G – many men from Caddo Parish. Also known as the Red River Rangers.
- Company H – many men from Jackson Parish.
- Company I – many men from St. Mary Parish. Also known as the Lovell Scouts.
- Company K – many men from St. Landry Parish. Also known as the Prarie Rangers.
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Arthur W. Bergeron, Jr., Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861-1865, (Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Louisiana State University Press, 1989), 44. WorldCat 45731931 FHL Book 976.3 M2ba
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Arthur W. Bergeron, Jr., Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861-1865, (Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Louisiana State University Press, 1989), 43–44. WorldCat 45731931 FHL Book 976.3 M2ba
- This page was last modified on 17 January 2013, at 03:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,002 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page