3rd Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Potomac Home BrigadeEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Potomac Home Brigade was organized at Cumberland, Hagerstown and Baltimore, Md., October 31, 1861, to May 20, 1862. It mustered out May 29, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive Section, 3rd Regiment Potomac Home Brigade Infantry, (accessed 21 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 3rd Maryland Infantry, Potomac Home Brigade, (accessed 9 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices and Staff - see Roster on page 571
- Company A - many men from Allegany County - see Roster on page 572 - 575
- Company B - many men from Allegany County - see Roster on page 575 - 579
- Company C - many men from Allegany County - see Roster on page 579 - 583
- Company D - many men from Allegany County - see Roster on page 583 - 588
- Company E - many men from Washington County - see Roster on page 588 - 592
- Company F - many men from Baltimore County - see Roster on page 592 - 594
- Company G - many men from Frederick County - see Roster on page 595 - 596
- Company H - many men from Allegany County - see Rosteron page 597 - 599
- Company I - many men from Howard County - see Roster on page 600 - 601
- Company K - many men from Frederick County- see Roster on page 602 - 603
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 3rd Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Potomac Home Brigade in L. Allison Wilmer, J. H. Jarrett, and Geo. W. F. Vernon. 1898. History and roster of Maryland volunteers, war of 1861-5. Baltimore: Press of Guggenheimer, Weil & Co. other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 28 Dec 2012) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Maine to New Jersey (go to Maryland)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maryland in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maryland in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maryland, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2014, at 17:02.
- This page has been accessed 1,485 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki