3rd Regiment, Michigan Infantry (1st organization)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was mustered into state service on May 21, 1861. It was mustered into United States service June 10, 1861. The non-veterans were mustered out June 10, 1864 at Detroit, Michigan. The veterans and recruits were transferred to the 5th Michigan Infantry June 13, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 20 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 20 July 2012).
For a history of this regiment see 3rd Regiment Michigan Volunteer Cavalry which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
The Wikipedia article 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment gives a brief history of the unit including places served and battles fought.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Soper, Steve. The Third Michigan Infantry Research Project we bsite. Gives history of regiment, battles, lists of men serving. and Men of the 3rd Michigan InfantryThis blog has brief biographaphies and some photos of men who served in the 3rd Michigan infantry. Links to related websites.
- This page was last modified on 27 March 2014, at 16:18.
- This page has been accessed 1,341 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki