3rd Regiment, Michigan Infantry (2nd organization)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Michigan infantry was reorganized at Grand Rapids, Adrian and Pontiac, Michigan, August 24 to October 12, 1864. The regiment mustered in October 15, 1864. The regiment mustered out May 26, 1866 at Victoria, Texas and was discharged at Detroit, Michigan, June 10, 1866.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry (Reorganized), (accessed 20 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Reorganized), (accessed 20 July 2012).
For a history of this regiment see 3rd Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry Re-Organized which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Soper, Steve. The Third Michigan Infantry Research Project website. Gives history of regiment, battles, lists of men serving. and Men of the 3rd Michigan Infantry This blog has brief biographaphies and some photos of men who served in the 3rd Michigan infantry. Links to related websites.
- This page was last modified on 1 April 2014, at 23:05.
- This page has been accessed 1,148 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More