3rd Regiment, Minnesota InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry was organized at Fort Snelling, Minnesota on October 2 to November 14, 1861. It mustered out on September 16, 1865 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota.
For more information on this regiment see the following:
- Wikipedia,(accessed 9 Dec 2010) article on the 3rd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 3rd Regiment Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 28 March 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
- Company A - many men from Hennepin County and Wright County - Roster, page 122.
- Company B - many men from Washington County, Dakota County, Carver County, and Ramsey County - Roster, page 127.
- Company C - many men from Fillmore County, Olmsted County, and Mower County - Roster, page 131.
- Company D - many men from Goodhue County, Norway, and Sweden - Roster, page 136.
- Company E - many men from Goodhue County and Dodge County - Roster, page 141.
- Company F - many men from Dakota County, Steele County, and Washington County - Roster, page 146.
- Company G - many men from Wabasha County - Roster, page 151.
- Company H - many men from Rice County and Blue Earth County - Roster, page 156.
- Company I - many men from Le Sueur County, Stearns County, and Wabasha County - Roster, page 160.
- Company K - many men from Olmsted County and Winona County - Roster, page 164.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Minnesota in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Minnesota in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Minnesota, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Civil War Index. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Website with detailed Minnesota regimental histories.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) 3rd Regiment history and a roster of the men from Wabasha county.
- MilitaryHistoryOnline, (accessed 9 December 2010) has submissions by people about their ancestors who served in the Civil War.
- Bailey, E. G. (Edward Guardene). The Civil War and E. G. Bailey : letters to Sarah Davis Bailey and other letters written during the years,1861-1865 (3rd Minnesota Regiment). ([Kingwood, Texas? : E.G. Bailey, 1999?]), FHL book 921.73 B152b
- Carley, Kenneth, and Richard Moe. Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History. (Minnesota Historical Society Press, c2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). Other libraries with this book.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Lombard, C W.History of the Third Regiment Infantry, Minnesota Volunteers : with the final record of the original regiment. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6118054.
- Minnesota. Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865. (St. Paul, Minn: Electrotyped and printed for the State by the Pioneer Press Company, 1890).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 H2bc. Other libraries with this book. Click on the FHL Collection link to view this book online. It contains detailed histories and rosters of each Minnesota Military Unit.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1488542. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2014, at 16:26.
- This page has been accessed 2,887 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki