3rd Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at St. Louis, Missouri., September 3, 1861, to January 18, 1862; It was attached to 2nd Brigade, Army of Southwest Missouri, to February, 1862; Unassigned, Army of Southwest Missouri, to May, 1862; 3rd Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to November, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 11th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to September, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to December, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to November, 1864.
Companies in this regiment were organized between 27 July 1861 and 25 October 1861, mustered out between 3 September 1861 and 31 December 1861, and discharged between 3 September 1864 and 16 November 1864. The Colonels in charge were W.A. Hegnmbourg and Isaac F. Shepard.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry (3 Years), (accessed 25 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 3rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain Joseph Indest, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company B - Captains Herman Klosterman and Henry Zeis, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company C - Captains Leopold Helmle and Jacob Hartmann, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company D - Captains Andrew J. Brown, John Starr and Charles Steissmeier, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company E - Captains Theodore Muemann and George Shuster, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company F - Captains Augustus Hackman and Otto C. Lademann, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company G - Captains James Abercombie and John Downey, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company H - Captains William Aken and W.A. Hegnimbourg, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company I - Captains David B. Green and Edward K. Parris, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
Company K - Captains George Damddi and Anthony Roeslein, organized in St. Louis, Missouri
The information about the counties is from Kenneth E. Weant's book, Civil War Records, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume 1, Three Month Volunteer Regiments, 1-5 and Three Year Volunteer Regiments 1-3, (Arlington, Texas: K.E. Waant, c2011), pages 145-159. FHL book 977.8 M2wkv. Partial rosters are also included.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 9 August 2013, at 19:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,082 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki