3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves (90 days 1862-63)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States U.S. Military South Carolina South Carolina Military South Carolina in the Civil War South Carolina Civil War Confederate Units 1st through 4th 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves (90 days 1862-63)
The 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves was one of the ten regiments in the 1st Corps of Reserves. It was organized in the fall of 1862 for only 90 days of service. It mustered into service on November 1862 at Greenville, South Carolina. It was also known as the Old Guard of the Mountains. the 3rd Regiment Reserves disbanded in February 1863.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company B - Greenville District/County, Laurens District/County, and Anderson District/County - Roster
- Company H - Possibly from eastern Pickens District (County)- Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘South Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- South Carolina in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for South Carolina, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls). (Accessed December 2010)
- "3rd South Carolina State Troops - Jun 1862-Jan 1863". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Gives the counties and rosters for the Companies. The Soldiers and Sailors system lists men from this page as being a part of the 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves (90 day 1862-63).
- "SC 3rd Infantry Regiment Reserves (90 days 1862-1863)". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/01/2010. Lists References.
- South Carolina Reserve Battalions. South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson's Internet site, accessed 12/01/2010. This website also lists officers of the regiment and companies; and battles the regiment was involved in.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Lists some of the Troop and Reserve units, a few companies, officers and some dates of service.
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 & 65. Lists officers, companies, and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. There are 10 Companies (A-I, K) listed.
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 165-167. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Regiment served with.
- ↑ "3rd South Carolina State Troops - Jun 1862-Jan 1863". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Gives the counties and rosters for the Companies. The Soldiers and Sailors system lists men from this page as being a part of the 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves (90 day 1862-63)
- This page was last modified on 13 December 2011, at 15:50.
- This page has been accessed 687 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki