3rd Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Clack's) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Also known as the 3rd (Brown's) Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
Records filed as 3rd (Clack's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment.
Organized May 16, 1861 at Lynnville, Giles County; mustered into Confederate service at Camp Trousdale, August 7, 1861; reorganized September 26, 1862; merged into 4th Consolidated Tennessee Infantry Regiment April 9, 1865; paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina, May 1, 1865.  This regiment was completed its organization at Lynnville, Giles County, Tennessee, in May, 1861. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain John C. Brown - Men from Pulaski, Giles County.
- Company B - Captain Daniel F. Wade, Men from Mt. Pleasant, Giles County.
- Company C - Captain Flavel C. Barber - Men from Elkton, Giles County.
- Company D - Captain Benjamin Franklin Mathews - Men from Lawrence County.
- Company E - Captain Calvin Harvey Walker - Men from Cornersville, Giles County.
- Company F - Captain Nathaniel F. Cheaires - Men from Spring Hill, Maury County and Williamson County.
- Company G - Captain Thomas M. Gordon - Men from Lynnville, Giles County
- Company H - Captain George W. Jones - Men from Culleoka, Maury County.
- Company I - Captain William Peaton - Men from Campbellsville, Giles County.
- Company K - Captain Samuel L. Tarrent - Men from Lewis County and Hickman County.
The information for the companies listed is from 3rd Tennessee Infantry, Giles County, submitted by Bob Wamble, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
The Goodspeed Histories, Vol 6, has the following information which is a little different from the above.
3rd Tennessee Regiment of Infantry
Company A: Captain John C. Brown - many men from Giles County
Company B: Captain Thomas M. Gordon - many men from Giles County
Company D: Captain William Peaton - many men from Giles County
Company G: Captain Calvin H. Walker - many men from Giles County
Company K: Captain F. C. Barber - many men from Giles County
Reorganized September 26, 1862 as follows:
Company A:(Formerly Company K) Captain F. C. Barger
Company B (Captain Robert A. Mitchell
Company G (Formerly Company A) Captain David Rhea
Company H (Formerly Company G) Captain James J. Walker
Company I (Formerly Company D) Captain D. G. Alexander
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Brief history and memorial rolls for the 3rd Regiment of the Tennessee Confederate Infantry starts on page 175.
- 3rd Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Brief history, including reorganization. List of companies and officers.
- Civil War Stories, A Fallen Hero - Calvin James Clack, (accessed 23 Dec 2011).
- 3rd (Brown's) Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- The War for Southern Independence Tennessee,3rd Infantry Regiment (Clack's), (accessed 23 Dec 2011). Organization, Officers, Rosters.
- The Third Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 28 Dec 2011).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 3rd (Brown's) Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- This page was last modified on 4 January 2013, at 02:56.
- This page has been accessed 2,520 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki