3rd Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Recorded as 3rd (Vaughn's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment, PACS. Also called 3rd Confederate Infantry;
3rd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment; 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment.
Records filed as 3rd (Lillard's) Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment. Organized at Knoxville, Tennessee, May 29, 1861; mustered into Confederate Service June 6, 1861; reorganized May 14, 1862; surrendered at Washington, Georgia, May 9, 1865. 
The book "Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain Luther C. May, Goerge H. Ross - Men from Jefferson County and Knox County
- Company B - Captain Wiliam Parker, Albert G. Stephens, John Edgar McElrath, William Mason - Men from Monroe County
- Company C - Captain Emmons P. Douglass, John W. Fender - Men from Polk County.
- Company D - Captain John F. Hannah, David C. Haskins, B.F. Gaddis - Men from Polk County.
- Company E - Captain James A. Mcamy, Samuel Toole - Men from Blount County.
- Company F - Captain William C. Morelock, James W. Gideon - Men from Monroe County.
- Company G - Captain Harry Dill, James K.P. Giddens - Men from McMinn County.
- Company H - Captain Joseph C. Boyd, Joseph Marr, Wiliam H. Rudd - Men from Monroe County.
- Company I - Captain Newton J. Lilard, Isaac B. Cross, James M. Buckner - Men from Meigs County.
- Company K - Captain George M. Mathis, Crockett R. Millard - Men from Sullivan County.
- 2nd Company K - Captain Joseph C. Boyd, Wiliam Lee - Men from Monroe County.
The information for the companies listed is from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Barber, Flavel C. (Flavel Clingan). Holding the line : the Third Tennessee Infantry, 1861-1864. (Kent, Ohio : Kent State University Press, c1994), FHL book 976.8 M2b
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A brief history and memorial rolls for the Third Confederate, or the Third Tennessee Regiment starts on page 137.
- 3rd (Vaughn's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Brief history and organization.
- 3rd Regiment Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Lillard's), (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Brief history, list of officers, partial roster and books available for sale.
- The Third Confederate (Tennessee) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 28 Dec 2011).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 3rd (Vaughn's) Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 15:34.
- This page has been accessed 2,604 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page