41st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The 41st received 195 men. They came from counties all over the Southside. The army made no
attempt to systematically place the men in companies from their home counties.
Company D (Rough and Ready Volunteers)
The information above is from 41st Virginia Infantry, by william D. Henderson
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in Virginia in the Civil War and United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Dunaway, Wayland F. Reminiscences of a Rebel. New York: Neale Pub. Co., 1913. FHL Fiche 6082869 (2 fiche).
- Henderson, William D. 41st Virginia Infantry. (Lynchburg, Virginia : H.E. Howard, c1986), FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 28.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia. New York, NY: Facts on File, 1992- 1995. (Family History Library book 975 M2ss, Ten Volumes.) This gives organization information for each unit and its field officers, assignments, and battles. It also lists sources further reading. Volume 5 is for Virginia.
- Wallace, Lee A. A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations, 1861-1865. Lynchburg, Virginia: H. E. Howard, 1986. (Family History Library book 975.5 M2vr, Volume 29.) This gives brief historical sketches of each regiment and lists officers, company names, and commanders.
- This page was last modified on 3 July 2014, at 16:27.
- This page has been accessed 749 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki