42nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was assembled at Camp McDonald, Georgia, in March, 1862, with men from Gwinnett, De Kalb, Newton, Walton, Fulton, and Calhoun counties. National Park Service, 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Members of this regiment were enlisted from the following Georgia counties: Gwinnett, De Kalb, Newton, Walton, Fulton, and Calhoun counties.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 508; USGenWeb
- Company A - ("Gwinnett Beauregards") Gwinnett County - see - Roster on page 510; USGenWeb
- Company B - ("Inpedendent Rebels") Gwinnett County - see - Roster on page 521 (History on page 531); USGenWeb
- Company C - ("Milton Tigers") Milton County - see - Roster on page 531; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("Dekalb Rangers") Dekald County - see - Roster on page 539; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Harper Guards") Newton County - see - Roster on page 549; USGenWeb
- Company F - (Newton Rangers or Newton Rifles) Newton County - see - Roster on page 558; USGenWeb
- Company G - ("Walton Blues") Walton County - see - Roster on page 571; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Walton Tigers") Walton County - see - Roster on page 583 (History on page 596); USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Fulton Blues") Fulton County - see - Roster on page 597; USGenWeb
- Company K - ("Calhoun Guards #2") Fulton County - see - Roster on page 606; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST; also on USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Bogle, Joseph. Historical sketches of Barton's (later Stovall's) Georgia Brigade, Army of the Tennessee, C.S.A : with complete roster of the 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd and 52nd regiments. (Dayton, Ohio : Morningside House, c1984 FHL book 973 M2bog
- Calhoun, William Lowndes. History of the 42nd Regiment, Georgia Volunteers, Confederate States Army, Infantry. (Atlanta, Georgia: s.n., 1900). Includes roster on pages 5-28. FHL 975.8 A1 no.63 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082374
- Goodson, Gary Ray. Georgia Confederate 7,000 : new research: Army of Tennessee, Georgia infantry brigade incredible history. (Shawnee, Colorado : Goodson Enterprises Inc, c1995, c1997, c2000),),FHL book 975.8 M2g pts. 1 - 3 digitized and The Civil War historical sketches of private-Marion Washington Goodson Georgia 40th infantry, company F - Paulding Washington guards : and the Confederate States of America army of Tennessee, Georgia infantry brigades - 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 52nd, American Civil War, 1861-1865. (Highlands Ranch, Colorado : G.R. Goodson, c1994), (Highlands Ranch, Colorado : G.R. Goodson, c1994), FHL book 921.73 A1 no. 767 digitized
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Calhoun, William Lowndes. History of the 42nd Regiment, Georgia Volunteers, Confederate States Army, Infantry. (Atlanta, Georgia: s.n., 1900). FHL 975.8 A1 no.63
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:38.
- This page has been accessed 3,849 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News