43rd Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Gillespie's) (5th East Tennessee Volunteers)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 43rd Infantry Regiment [also called 5th East Tennessee Volunteer Regiment] was organized at Knoxville, Tennessee, during December, 1861. It ended the war at Washington, Georgia, in May, 1865, with a force of 123 men. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captains John Goodman, John Tonkin - Men from Polk County.
- Company B - Captains Anderson J. Cawood, William M. Wilson - Men from Rhea County.
- Company C - Captains William J. Hill, Alex H. Roberson - Men from Bledsoe County.
- Company D - Captains Ambrose W. Hodge, Isom R. Binyon - Men from Meigs County.
- Company E - Captains John W. Philips, Joseph Huffmaster - Men from Hawkins County.
- Company F - Captains Sterling T. Turner, Eli C. Jones - Men from Roane County.
- Company G - Captains David Neff, Calvin L. Hensley - Men from Jefferson County.
- Company H - Captains W.L. Lafferty, Thomas G. Bryan - Men from McMinn County.
- Company I - Captain William H. McKamy - Men from Bradley County.
- Company K - Captains Lawson Guthrie, Jasper N. Aiken - Men from Hamilton County. 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Bogle, Joseph. Historical sketches of Barton's (later Stovall's) Georgia Brigade, Army of the Tennessee, C.S.A : with complete roster of the 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd and 52nd regiments. (Dayton, Ohio : Morningside House, c1984), FHL book 973 M2bog
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A brief history and memorial rolls of the 43rd Tennessee Infantry begin on page 521.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 43rd Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- The Forty-third Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- Civil War Records, Bradley County, Tennessee, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). Resources available at the Cleveland Public Library. Military Records of Union and Confederate Soldiers from Bradley County (microfilm), Confederate Regiments: 43rd (Gillespie's) Tenn. Infantry Regiment (later Mounted).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 43rd Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 30 Dec 2011).
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 15:58.
- This page has been accessed 2,286 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki