44th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and mustered in November 22, 1861. It return to Chattanooga, Tennessee, October 15, and Provost duty there till September, 1865. They mustered out September 14, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see 
- Company A - many men from Steuben County 
- Company B - many men from Kosciusko Countysee 
- Company C - many men from Allen County see 
- Company D - many men from Allen Koscivsko and Noble counties 
- Company E - many men from Whitley County see 
- Company F- many men from DeKalb County see 
- Company G - many men from Allen Noble, and Steuben counties - see 
- Company H - many men from Noble, and La Grange counties - see 
- Company I - many men from Elkhart County - see 
- Company K -many men from Allen, Ripley, Steuben, and DeKalb counties - see 
- Unassigned Recruits - see 
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 44th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX  (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achieves for Civil Warcan be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research; gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, , is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- [United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865|United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865] describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 44th Regiment, Indiana.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Rerick, John H. The Forty-Fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, History of Its Services in the War of the Rebellion and a Personal Record of Its Members. (Lagrange, Ind: The author, 1880.)FHL US/CAN Film 1036016 Item 1  
- ↑ National Park Service,[http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ nps.gov/cwss/ The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unininf4.htm#44th 44th Regiment Infantry (accessed 9 May 2012)
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Regiment_Indiana_Infantry 44th Regiment Indiana Infantry (accessed 21 June 2012)
- ↑ Roster
- ↑ http://www.civilwarindex.com/armyin/soldiers/44th_in_infantry_soldiers.pdf Roster on page 360
- ↑ Roster on page 362
- ↑ [http://www.civilwarindex.com/armyin/soldiers/44th_in_infantry_soldiers.pdf Roster on page 365
- ↑ [http://www.civilwarindex.com/armyin/soldiers/44th_in_infantry_soldiers.pdf Roster on page 367
- ↑ Roster on page 370
- ↑ Roster on page 373
- ↑ [http://www.civilwarindex.com/armyin/soldiers/44th_in_infantry_soldiers.pdf Roster on page 376
- ↑ Roster on page 378
- ↑ Roster on page 381
- ↑ [http://www.civilwarindex.com/armyin/soldiers/44th_in_infantry_soldiers.pdf Roster on page 384
- ↑ Rosteron page 386
- ↑ [http://www.civilwarindex.com/armyin/44th_in_infantry.html web site
- ↑ "Military History" Chapter 4 in History of Huntington County, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present with biographical sketches, notes, etc., together with a short history of the northwest, the Indiana territory, and the state of Indiana (1978. Chicago: Brant and Fuller.), (page 342-370, Regiment, Companies, Some Name's),977.271 H2h FHL US/CAN Book
- ↑ [http://www.worldcat.org/title/history-of-huntington-county-indiana-from-the-earliest-time-to-the-present-with-biographical-sketches-notes-etc-together-with-a-short-history-of-the-northwest-the-indiana-territory-and-the-state-of-indiana/oclc/4996749 worldcat.org
- ↑ worldcat.org
- ↑ [http://www.archive.org/details/historyofhunting00slwa INTERNET ARCHIVE
- ↑ The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
- ↑ [http://www.worldcat.org/title/forty-fourth-indiana-volunteer-infantry-history-of-its-services-in-the-war-of-the-rebellion-and-a-personal-record-of-its-members/oclc/5212521&referer=brief_results">other library
- ↑ Internet Archive
- This page was last modified on 15 October 2013, at 15:23.
- This page has been accessed 2,760 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More