46th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Logansport, Indiana, and mustered in December 11, 1861. It return to Lexington and garrison duty there till September, 1865. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky, and there mustered out September 4, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 46th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 9 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 46th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Carroll County - see Roster on page 412
- Company B - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 414
- Company C - many men from Cass and Carroll counties - see Roster on page 416
- Company D - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 417
- Company E - many men from White County - see Roster on page 419
- Company F- many men from Carroll, White and Cass counties - see Roster on page 421
- Company G - many men from White County - see Roster on page 422
- Company H - many men from Pulaski and Cass counties - see Roster on page 423
- Company I - Many men from Wabash and Cass counties - see Roster on page 425
- Company K - many men from Fulton and Pulaski counties - see Roster on page 427
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 428
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 46th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 46th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 46th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 46th Indiana Infantry Monument (accessed 04 Jan 2011) is Located on Union Avenue 100 yards south og Fort Garrott.
- Benefiel, John K. The diary of John K. Benefiel for the year 1864 : a Civil War soldier, 46th Reg. Indiana Vol., reflecting the experiences of a Pulaski County, Indiana soldier. (Troutdale, Oregon : Mrs. R.Q. McKinney, 1972), FHL book 921.73 A1 no. 352.
- Bringhurst, Thomas H. Main Author),History of the Forty-sixth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, September 1861 - September 1865 (Washington (Wilson, Humphrey & Co. Logansport ,Ind 1888) (accessed 04 Jan 2011) FHL US/Can Film 1550181FHL1550208 Google Books. other libraries
- Indiana infantry. 1888. History of the Forty-sixth regiment Indiana volunteer infantry, September, 1861-September, 1865. (Logansport, Ind: Press of Wilson, Humphreys & co.].) other library INTERNER ARCHIVE
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,477 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More