47th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized during the winter of 1861-1862 with men raised in the counties of Mitchell, Randolph, Bullock, Chatham, Screven, Tattnell, Appling, Bryan, Liberty, and Dodge. National Park Service .
For more information on the 47th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, see the following:
The Wikipedia Article, 47th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 1 November 2011).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 1-4; USGenWeb
- Company A - ("Mitchell Volunteer") Chatham County - see - Roster on page 4-12 and Roster on Page 12-13; USGenWeb
- Company B - ("Randolph Light Guards") Randolph County - see - Roster on page 13-22 and Roster on Page 22-24; USGenWeb
- Company C - ("Bulloch Guards") Bulloch County - see - Roster on page 25-32 and Roster on page 32-33; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("Screven Guards ") Screven County - see - Roster on page 33-41 and Roster on page 42-43; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Chatham Volunteers") Bryan, Chatham, Effingham Counties - see - Roster on page 43-50 and Roster on page 50-51; USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Appling Rangers") Appling County - see - Roster on page 51-61 and Roster on page 62-63; USGenWeb
- Company G - ("Tattnall Invincibles") Tattnall County - see - Roster on page 63-72 and Roster on page 72-74; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Liberty Rangers") Glynn County - see - Roster on page 74-81 and Roster on page 82-83; USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Empire State Guards") Effingham County - see - Roster on page 83-91 and Roster on page 91-92; USGenWeb
- Company K - Bulloch County - see - Roster on page 93-99; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST; also on USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Botsford, Theophilus F. A sketch of the 47th Alabama Regiment, Volunteers, C.S.A. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082307
- This page was last modified on 28 October 2014, at 16:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,640 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page