49th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Jeffersonville, Indiana, and mustered in November 21, 1861. They were ordered to Louisville, Kentucky, September 7, and there mustered out September 13, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 49th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 9 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 49th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 471
- Company B - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 473
- Company C - many men from Clark, Floyd, Harrison, and Lawence counties - see Roster on page 475
- Company D - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 477
- Company E - many men from Perry County - see Roster on page 479
- Company F- many men from Crawford County - see Roster on page 481
- Company G -many men from Orange County - see Roster on page 482
- Company H - many men from Crawford County - see Roster on page 484
- Company I - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 485
- Company K - men from different counties - see Roster on page 487
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 488
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 49th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Company I - many men from Dubois County 
- Company A - K - many men from Crawford County USGenWeb project
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- List of Indiana Civil War regiment (accessed 13 Dec 2010) List of Indiana Regimental that are on Wikipedia.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. F, We are a Civil War Reenactment unit based out of Central Indiana, though we have members from all across the state.
- Regimental Association of the 49th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. (1892). Regimental Association of the 49th Regiment, Indiana Vol. Infantry: Issued to the survivors and widows and orphans of our dead comrades. Louisville, Ky: Brewer's Print. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084397 (1 fiche) FHL Collection
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Military History Of The County" Chapter 5 in History of Pike and Dubois counties, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. together with an extended history of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the state of Indiana. 2000. (La Crosse, Wis: Brookhaven Press. Harvard (18th ed.)) (page 531), 977.23 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraryINTERNET ARCHIVE
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2013, at 19:15.
- This page has been accessed 2,503 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page