4th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"Organized in April, 1861, at Augusta, Georgia, recruited its companies in the counties of Talbot, Troup, Macon, Gordon, Twiggs, Dougherty, Jasper, Baldwin, and Sumter. April 9, 1865, it surrendered.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see Roster on page 551
- Company A - (Southern Rifles) Talbot County - see Roster on page 553; USGenWeb
- Company B - (LaGrange Light Guard) Troup County - see Roster on page 562; USGenWeb
- Company C - (Twiggs County Vols.) Twiggs County - see Roster on page 571; USGenWeb
- Company D - (West Point Guards) Troup County - see Roster on page 579; USGenWeb
- Company E - (Albany Guards) Dougherty County - see Roster on page 588; USGenWeb
- Company F - (Toombs Volunteers) Gordon County - see Roster on page 597; USGenWeb
- Company G - (Glover Guards) Jasper County - see Roster on page 606; USGenWeb
- Company H - (Baldwin Blues) Baldwin County - see Roster on page 614; USGenWeb
- Company I - (Macon County Volunterrs) Macon County - see Roster on page 623; USGenWeb
- Company K - (Sumter Light Guards) Sumter County - see Roster on page 632 (History on page 641); USGenWeb
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 4th. Company H. A part of war and prison life of Private W.G. Whitaker, Company H, Fourth Georgia Regiments. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082361
- Herring, Dorothy Holland. Company A of the Fourtieth Georgia Regiment in Confederate service. ([Jonesboro, Georgia : D.H. Herring, 198-?]), FHL book 975.8373 M2h digitized
- McNeill, C. D. W. (Charlie D. W.). Three days battle showing who were the victors in front of Atlanta, Georgia ; Campaign, or Gingercrack Charlie, the boy who successfully wore the gray. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082360
- Thomas, Henry W. (Henry Walter). History of the Doles-Cook Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia, C.S.A. : containing muster rolls of each company of the Fourth, Twelfth, Twenty- First and Forty-Fourth Georgia regiments, with a short sketch of the services of each member, and a complete history of each regiment, by one of its own members, and other matters of interest. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082350 and (Dayton, Ohio : Press of Morningside Bookshop, 1981), FHL book 975.8 M2t Hathi Trust
- This page was last modified on 22 July 2014, at 15:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,413 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki