4th Regiment, Kansas InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The organization of the 4th Regiment, Kansas Infantry was not completed. It was consolidated with 3rd Kansas Infantry to form 10th Kansas Infantry April 3, 1862.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 23 March 2010).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
The 4th Regiment consisted of the companies in Johnson, Pottawatomie, Marshall, Washington, Republic, Cloud, Shawnee, Wabaunsee and Osage counties. Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Roll of the officers and enlisted men of the Third, Fourth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Kansas Volunteers, 1861.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Kansas in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Kansas in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Kansas, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 26 October 2012, at 00:37.
- This page has been accessed 351 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More