4th Regiment, Michigan Infantry (1st organization)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 4th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Adrian, Michigan and mustered in June 20, 1861. The Regiment was mustered out: June 30, 1864.Veterans and Recruits were transferred to 1st Michigan Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 20 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 20 July 2012).
For a brief History of the 4th Regiment Infantry see the Michigan in the Civil War Website which gives a history, places served, battles fought, and roster.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Barrett, Orvey S. "Reminiscences, Incidents, Battles, Marches and Camp Life of the Old 4th Michigan Infantry in War of Rebellion, 1861 to 1864" ( Detroit, Michigan W.S. Ostler, 1888). digital copy. Another digital copy. FHL Fiche 6084638 . Other Libraries.
- Bertera, Martin N., and Kim Crawford. "The 4th Michigan Infantry in the Civil War "(East Lansing, Michigan: Michigan State University Press, 2010).FHL Book 977.4 M2bm . Other Libraries
- George Wilkinson. 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment website. (Accessed June 8, 2011). Gives history of regiment. Collecting pictures, histories, letters and memorabilia for soldiers of this Regiment.
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2014, at 21:27.
- This page has been accessed 1,563 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki