4th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 4th Virginia Regiment was formed in February 1776 at Suffolk Courthouse. Companies recruited men from Berkeley, Charlotte, Prince Edward, Sussex, Southampton, Nansemond, Brunswick, Isle of Wight, Surry, Princess Anne, and Norfolk Boro Counties. Field officers at Valley Forge were Colonel Isaac Read, Lt. Colonel Thomas Gaskins, Lt. Colonel William Taliaferro, Major Isaac Beall, and Major John Brent.
- 1776-1776 - Colonel Adam Stephen in command from 13 Feb 1776 to 4 Sep 1776
- 1776-1777 - Colonel Thomas Elliott in command from 3 Sep 1776 to 22 Sep 1777
- 1777-1777 - Colonel Robert Lawson in command from 19 Aug 1777 to 17 Dec 1777
- 1777-1778 - Colonel Isaac Read in command from 17 Dec 1777 to 4 Sep 1778
- 1778-1783 - Colonel John Neville in command from 14 Sep 1778 to close of war
- Company - Captain John Stith
- Company - Captain Jason Reddick
- Company - Captain James Lucas
- Company - Captain William Cherry
- Company - Captain John Holcombe
- Company - Captain Thomas Ridley
- Company - Captain Arthur Smith
- Company - Captain George Walls
- Company - Captain John Grogan
- Company - Captain Jonathan Clark
- The information above is from 4th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-10
- Captain Lawrence Butler
- Captain Samuel Booker
- Captain Robert Beale
- Captain John Blackwell
- Captain James Curry
- Captain Reuben Field
- Captain John Fitzgerald
- Captain Abraham Kirkpatrick
- Captain L. William Lovly
- Captain Philip Mallory
- Captain Thomas Overton
- Lieutenant Joseph Holt of Albemarle County
- ↑ "4th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va4.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- ↑ F.B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783 (Washington, D.C.: W.H. Lowdermilk and Co., 1893), 50. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 F.B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783 (Washington, D.C.: W.H. Lowdermilk and Co., 1893), 474-478. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367-368.
- This page was last modified on 14 November 2012, at 03:14.
- This page has been accessed 4,355 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page