50th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Quincy, Illinois and mustered in on September 12, 1861. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky on June 3-8 and mustered out on July 13, 1865.
For more information about the 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 16 Dec 2010) article for 50th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 50th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 524-527.
Company B - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster vol 3. pages 527-530.
Company C - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 530-532.
Company D - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 532-535.
Company E - many men from Hancock County - Hancock County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 536-538.
Company F - many men from Fulton and Hancock counties - Fulton County and Hancock County web sites - Roster vol. 3 pages 539-541.
Company G - many men fromHancock County - Hancock County web site -Roster vol. 3 pages 541-545.
Company H - many men from Brown County - Brown County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 545-547.
Company I - many men from Warren County - Warren County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 547-550.
Company K - many men from out of state and Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster vol. 3 pages 550-552.
Unassigned Recruits -Roster vol. 3 page 552.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 50th Regiment (accessed 17 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- The American Civil War Research Database $, (accessed 7 April 2011) view a roster of the men in the 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry. Click on the names for more information about each soldier.
- The ILGenWeb Civil War Scrapbook, (accessed 26 July 2011) contains links to various documents such as personal letters, military papers, articles, histories, obituaries, biographies, etc. Documents are listed by regiment, then by the soldier and his company.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- Dyer,Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion...,(Dayton, Ohio : Press of Morningside Bookshop, c1978), 1796 pages. This book includes the essential information on all Union organizations FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 973 M2df. Other libraries with this book. Digital copy on Google books.
- Hanna, William and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 50th (1861-1865), Historical Memorial from the Members of the 50th Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry Reunion Association in Behalf of the Comrades of the 50th Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry, to Brevet Brigadier General William Hanna : Nineteenth Annual Reunion, Camp Point, Ill., Sept. 26-27, 1905.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084244. Other libraries with this book.
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- Hubert, C. F. and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 50th (1861-1865), Roster of Survivors of the Fiftieth Regt. Ills. Infantry Reunion Ass'n.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084243. Google books.
- Hubert, Charles F. History of the Fiftieth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the War of the Union. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, c1988).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Film 1421977 Item 4. FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6084245. FHL Film 1421977 Item 4Other libraries with this book. Google books (accessed 11 January 2011).
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 7692. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers and enlisted men and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:33.
- This page has been accessed 5,114 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More