50th Regiment, Tennessee InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 50th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry was organized at Fort Donelson, Tennessee, in December, 1861. In December, 1863, it totalled 90 men and 52 arms. During February, 1864, it was consolidated with the 1st Battalion, Tennessee Infantry (Colms') to form the 50th Consolidated Regiment, Tennessee Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - The men were from Montgomery County, Dickson County and Cheatham County.
- Company B - Enrolled at Cumberland City, Stewart County.
- Company C - "The Wilson Grays." An Alabama company, enrolled at Montgomery County, Alabama.
- Compandy D - Men from Stewart County.
- Company E - Men from Montgomery County.
- Company F - Men from Stewart County.
- Company G - Men from Cheatham County. Some men from Davidson.
- Company H - Men from Stewart County.
- Company I - Enrolled at Dover, Stewart County.
- Company K - Men from Humphreys County.
Company A ( Captain T. W. Beaumont) Montgomery County
Company E ( Captain Cyrus A. Sugg) Montgomery County
Captain A. A. Wilson's Company - men from Humphreys County
Company B (Captain George W. Stacker) - many men from Stewart County
Company D (Captain Samuel Graham) - many men from Stewart County
Company F (Captain A. Richards) - many men from Stewart County
Company G (Captain Samuel Mayes) - many men from Cheatham County
Company H (Captain Elbert G. Sexton) - many men from Stewart County
Company I (Captain William Martin)- many men from Stewart County
The information above is fromThe Goodspeed Histories of Tennessee, Vol 7.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Allen, David C. Winds of change : Robertson County, Tennessee, in the Civil War. (Nashville, Tennessee : Land Yacht Press, c2000), FHL book 976.8464 M2a
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A brief history and memorial rolls of the 50th Tennessee Infantry begin on page 558.
- 50th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Summary, organization and roster of Company C.
- 50th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Company C, (accessed 22 Oct 2011). Brief history, roster.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 50th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- The Fiftieth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- Confederate Military Rosters Online, 50th Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). Company G, National Archives T268 - Roll #319-322, transcribed by Linda Rives.
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 15:14.
- This page has been accessed 2,134 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki