5th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Formed in January 1863, by consolidating the 1st and 2nd Georgia Cavalry Battalions. They surrendered in April 1865.
For more information on the history of the 5th Georgia Cavalry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 5th Georgia Cavalry, (accessed 27 September 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company E - Bullock County - USGenWeb
- Company F - Screven County - USGenWeb
- Company G - USGenWeb
- Company G - USGenWeb
- Company H - USGenWeb
- Company K - McIntosh County - USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Daiss, Timothy. In the saddle : exploits of the 5th Georgia Cavalry during the Civil War. (Atglen, Pennsylvania : Schiffer Pub., c1999).FHL975.8 M2da
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2014, at 15:14.
- This page has been accessed 1,518 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page