5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, August 22 to October 30, 1862
They expedition from Pulaski to New Market, Alabama, May 5-13, and mustered out June 16, 1865 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 5th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 26 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Grant, Howard, Huntington, Madison, and Hamilton counties - see Roster on page 455
- Company B - many men from Wayne Counties - see Roster on page 457
- Company C - many men from Pike,Owen, Henry, Fayette, and Starke counties - see Roster on page 479
- Company D - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 461
- Company E - many men from Washington County - see Roster on page 263
- Company F - many men from Johnson, Morgan, and Madison counties - see Roster on page 265
- Company G - many men from Hancock County - see Roster on page 467
- Company H - many men from Decatur and Ripley counties - see Roster on page 469
- Company I - men from Porter, Lake and Fulton counties - see Roster on page 471
- Company K - men from Pulaski, Cass, Fulton, Jackson, and La Porte counties - see Roster on page 473
- Company L - many men from Tippecanoe Country - see Roster on page 475
- Company M - many men from Clark, Kosciuko, Grant, Marion, and Steuben counties - see - Roster on page 477
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 479
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 5th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunterrs) web site. (accessed 17 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 5th Regiments, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers).
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on 90th Regimental, Indiana Volunteers.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Whitenack, David S., and Henry Devillez, "Reminiscences of the Civil War: Andersonville" ,( Indiana Magazine of History 11, no. 2 (June 1915): 128-147.) 1864-5, Johnson County (Greenwood), 5th Indiana Calvary, Co. F (Whitenack), 93rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. G (Devillez) Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- Association of the Fifth Indiana Cavalry. Report of the Re-Union of the Fifth Indiana Cavalry [Association]. ([Indianapolis, Ind.]: The Association, 1883. ) FHL Collection other libraries Internet Archive
- This page was last modified on 26 April 2012, at 20:38.
- This page has been accessed 3,123 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki