5th Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry (McKenzie's) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized in December, 1862, using the 13th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus. The regiment surrendered with the Army of Tennessee. 
"...designated as 5th (McKenzie's) Cavalry Regiment. It was also known as the
1st (Rogers') East Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, 2nd (MeLin's) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Tennessee Cavalry Battalion, and the 13th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion." 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain J.L. Blackwell
- Company B - Captain James M. Kincaid, John Blythe
- Company C - Company W.O. Martin, D.C. Blevins
- Company D - Captain A.W. Beagles
- Company E - Captain Thad. M. Carder
- Company F - Captain Thomas Gorman, A.L. Mims
- Company G - Captain John W. Graham
- Company H - Captain William W. Mullendore
- Company I - Captain William W. Lillard
- Company K - Captain Dewitt C. Ghormley
The information about the above companies is from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 19 Nov 2011).
See the information about the companies and counties of the 1st (Roger's) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 22 Oct 2011)].
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). Brief history and county links. Original photocopy available online, (accessed 3 Sep 2011).
- Tennessee 1st Regiment Cavalry (Roger's), (accessed 3 Sep 2011). The War for Southern Independence. Organization, officers, partial roster and research books for purchase.
- Campbell, Carl. McKenzie's Fighting Fifth. ([Spring City, North Carolina?] : Rhea County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1999), FHL book 976.8 M2cac v. 1 and Reminiscences of William G. Allen : McKenzie's 5th Tennessee Regiment. ( [Spring City, Tennessee?] : Rhea County Historical and Genealogical Society, c2000), FHL book 976.8 M2aw
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Memorial rolls of the 5th Tennessee Cavalry begin on page 634.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- Civil War Records, Bradley County, Tennessee, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). Resources available at the Cleveland Public Library. Military Records of Union and Confederate Soldiers from Bradley County (microfilm)
Confederate Regiments: 5th (McKenzie's) Tenn. Cavalry Regiment.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ The War for Southern Independence Tennessee Tennessee 1st Cavalry Regiment (Roger's), (accessed 19 Nov 2011).
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 16:34.
- This page has been accessed 2,291 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page