64th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 64th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at Elmira, N. Y., September 10 to December 10, 1861. It was assigned at various times to various places and commands. The regiment mustered out July 14, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 64th Regiment Infantry "Cattaraugas Regiment", (accessed 9 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company B - principally recruited in Cattaraugus County
Company C - principally recruited in Cattaraugus County
Company D - principally recruited in Allegany County
Company E - principally recruited in Tompkins County
Company F - principally recruited in Cattaraugus County
Company G - principally recruited in Allegany County
Company H - principally recruited in Tioga County
Company I - principally recruited in Cattaraugus County
Company K - principally recruited in Cattaraugus County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited atCivil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hawks, Steve,The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs."Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 64th. Report of the seventh annual reunion of the 64th N. Y. Regimental Association at Salamanca, New York, August 21 and 22, 1895 : historical sketches, letters, roster of survivors. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992). FHL Fiche 6083734
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1863). Dedicatory ceremonies held on the battlefield of Manassas or Second Bull Run, Virginia : October 20th, 1906, and May 30th (Memorial Day), 1907 under the auspices of the Veteran Association of the Fifth Regiment of New York Volunteer Infantry "Duryee Zouaves". (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083647
- This page was last modified on 10 March 2014, at 20:39.
- This page has been accessed 751 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki