69th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Richmond, Indiana, and mustered in August 19, 1862. It return to Mobile, Florida, May 3 and duty there till July. They mustered out July 5, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 69th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 69th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 101
- Company B - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 103
- Company C - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 105
- Company D - many men from Wayne and Blackford counties - see Roster on page 106
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 108
- Company F- many men from Wayne and Randolph country - see Roster on page 109
- Company G - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 111
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 113
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 114
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 116
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 117
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 69th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 69th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 69th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 69th Indiana Infantry monument (accessed 04 Jan 2011) located on Union Avenue 250 yards south of the Iowa Memorial.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Military Annals" Chapter 7 in Richman, George J.History of Hancock County, Indiana; Its People, Industries and Institutions. (Greenfield, Ind: Wm. Mitchell Printing Co, 1916.) (page 255-328 Regiment, Company, Name) 977.258 H2r FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection referer=brief_results other library INTERNET ARCHIVE printsec=frontcover dq=History+of+Hancock+County,+Indiana;+its+people,+industries+and+institutions, source=bl ots=7iv1ZNy7B3 sig=2K6XanAk7iZLkF59X_5PvingD0k hl=en ei=M2q3TZSlG9PPiAKPyNwt sa=X oi=book_result ct=result resnum=5 ved=0CDYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage q f=false Google books
- ↑ "The Civil War of 1861" Chaper 12 in Kemper, G. W. H. 1908. A twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana. (Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co.) (page 385, Regiment, Companies, Name's), 977.265 D3k v. 2 FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collection referer=brief_results other libraries Vol. 1 FamilySearch Books Online Vol. 2 Template:HSbookINTERNET ARCHIVE
- This page was last modified on 31 July 2013, at 21:38.
- This page has been accessed 1,464 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki