6th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 6th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry was organized at Boston and Williamsburg, Kentucky, April 18, 1862. They mustered out April 2 to May 17, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 6th Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 28 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Men from Knox and Blount Counties.
- Company B - Men from Knox County.
- Company C -
- Company D -
- Company E - Men from Claiborne County.
- Company F - Men from Campbell County.
- Company G - 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wright, General Marcus J.,Tennessee in the War 1861-1865, (Ambrose Lee Publishing Company, Williamsbridge, New York City, 1908), Online book at Internet Archive. Roster of the volunteer force in the United States army from Tennessee. Roster of officers is given as it stood on the day of the muster out. Infantry - The Sixth Regiment begins on page 189.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 6th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 4 Jan 2012). A brief history, field officers, captains and companies.
- Federal Military Rosters, 6th Infantry Regiment Roster Index, (accessed 4 Jan 2012).
- Wikipedia, 6th Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 4 Jan 2012). Service, casualties, commanders, etc.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 6th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 4 Jan 2012).
- This page was last modified on 17 January 2013, at 01:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,355 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page