75th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Wabash, Indiana, and mustered in August 19, 1862. It was at Grand Review May 24. They mustered out at Washington, D. C., June 8, 1865 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 75th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 75th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Wabash County - see Roster on page 216
- Company B - many men from Tipton County - see Roster on page 218
- Company C - many men from Howard County - see Roster on page 219
- Company D - many men from Hamilton County - see Roster on page 221
- Company E - many men from Sullivan, Gibson and Huntington counties - see Roster on page 222
- Company F- many men from Jay Country - see Roster on page 224
- Company G - many men fromMadison County - see Roster on page 225
- Company H - many men from Huntington County - see Roster on page 227
- Company I - many men fromHancock and Hamilton counties - see Roster on page 228
- Company K - many men from Wells County - see Roster on page 230
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 232
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
75th Regiment, Indiana Infantry was organized within the Eleventh Congressional District.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 75th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) articile on the 75th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 75th Indiana Regiment Infantry - Company C (accessed 13 Dec 2010) history and roster (Howard country)
- Miller, William Bluffton, "'We Have Surely Done a Big Work': The Diary of a Civil War Soldier on Sherman's, 'March to the Sea'", (ed. Jeffrey L. Patrick and Robert Willey, Indiana Magazine of History 94, no. 3 (September 1998): 125-135.) 1864, Wells County , 75th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- Floyd, David Bittle. 'History of the Seventy-Fifth Regiment of Indiana Infantry Volunteers, Its Organization, Campaigns, and Battles (1862-65). ('Philadelphia: Lutheran Publication Society, 1893 ) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084415 (5 fiche) FHL Collection INTERNET ARCHIVE Google books other libraries
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ 75th Indiana Regiment Infantry - Company C;(accessed 13 Dec 2010) history and roster (Howard country)
- This page was last modified on 13 August 2012, at 00:02.
- This page has been accessed 2,046 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page