78th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (60 days, 1862)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, for 60 days State service and mustered in August 5, 1862. It had Guard duty at Evansville, Indiana, and operations against guerrillas in Kentucky till October 3. Part of the Regiment engaged at Uniontown September 1, and Company "K" at siege of Munfordsville, Kentucky, September 14-17. They mustered out October 3, 1862.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 78th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 268
- Company B - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 269
- Company C - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 271
- Company D - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 272
- Company E - many men from Hendricks County - see Roster on page 272
- Company F- many men from Wayne Country - see Roster on page 274
- Company G - many men from Clay County - see Roster on page 275
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 78th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the Indiana Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Article on the 78th Regiment, Indiana Infrantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- This page was last modified on 10 May 2012, at 19:52.
- This page has been accessed 790 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page