79th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, August 20 to September 2, 1862. It served at Nashville, Tennessee, till June, 1865. They mustered out June 7, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 79th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 79th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 277
- Company B - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 278
- Company C - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 280
- Company D - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 281
- Company E - many men from Shelby and Hamilton counties - see Roster on page 282
- Company F- many men from Marion Country - see Roster on page 284
- Company G - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 285
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 286
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 288
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 289
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 291
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 79th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 79th Regimen, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Parker, George W., History of the Seventy-Ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War of Eighteen Sixty-One in the United States ( Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993 ) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084416 (3 fiche) FHL1550208 Other libraries Allen Library
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 18:16.
- This page has been accessed 841 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki