7th Regiment, Kansas CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 7th Regiment, Kansas Cavalry was organized at Fort Leavenworth October 28, 1861. It mustered out September 29, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 23 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 7th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 27 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. Men from Allen, Leavenworth, Marshall, Nemaha and Shawnee counties enlisted in this regiment.
7th Kansas Cavalry Rosters
- Company A - Many men from Doniphan County, Hamilton County and Leavenworth County
- Company B - Many men from Leavenworth County, Hamilton County and Atchison County
- Company C - Many men from Leavenworth County, Doniphan County and Brown County
- Company D - Many men from Bureau County, Illinois
- Company E - Many men from Cook County, Illinois, Adams County, Illinois
- Company F - Many men from Shelby County, Illinois, Leavenworth County and Jackson County, Missouri
- Company G - Many men from Linn County, Leavenworth County
- Company H - Many men from Leavenworth County, Linn County and Miami County
- Company I - Many men from Leavenworth County and Buchanan County
- Company K - Many men from Morgan County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Kansas in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Kansas in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Kansas, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Starr, Stephen Z. Jennison's Jayhawkers : a Civil War cavalry regiment and its commander. (Baton Rouge [Louisiana] : Louisiana State University Press, c1973), FHL book 978.1 H2st
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2014, at 16:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,684 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki