7th Regiment, Michigan CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 7th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry was organized at Grand Rapids, Michigan, October, 1862, to June, 1863. The Regiment mustered out on December 15, 1865. Veterans and Recruits were transferred to 1st Michigan Cavalry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 12 July 2012).
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the Civil War Website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Harris, Samuel. "The Michigan Brigade of Cavalry at the Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863, Under Command of Brig.-Gen. Geo. A. Custer" ( Chicago [Ill.]: Samuel Harris & Co, 1894).FHL Fiche 6084602 . Other Libraries
- Isham, Asa B. (Asa Brainerd).An historical sketch of the Seventh Regiment Michigan Volunteer Cavalry : from its organization in 1862, to its muster out in 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993)FHL Fiche 6084613 and ( Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1987)FHL Film 1550105
- Longacre, Edward G. "Custer and his Wolverines: the Michigan Cavalry Brigade, 1861-1865" (Cambridge, Massachusetts. Da Capo, 2004). Digital copy at Google Books. Other libraries
- Michigan, and George H. Turner. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Fifth Cavalry]. Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905.FHL Fiche 6084600 . Other Libraries
- Kidd, James Harvey. "Personal Recollections of a Cavalryman with Custer's Michigan Cavalry Brigade in the Civil War" (Alexandria, Va.: Time-Life Books, 1983). Digital copy. Other Libraries.
- Lee, William O. "Personal and Historical Sketches and Facial History of and by Members of the Seventh Regiment Michigan Volunteer Cavalry, 1862-1865" (Detroit, Mich: Detroit Book Press, 1990). Digital Copy. Other Libraries.
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2014, at 21:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,675 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki