7th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment (also called 7th Regiment Volunteer Missouri Infantry) was organized at St. Louis, Mo., June, 1861. It was attached to Booneville, Mo., to September, 1861. Fremont's Army of the West to February, 1862. Lexington, Mo., Dept. of the Missouri, to July, 1862. Unattached, Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., Army of the Tennessee, to September, 1862. 4th Brigade, 1st Division, District of Jackson, Tenn., to November, 1862. 4th Brigade, 3rd Division, Left Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 17th Army Corps, to April, 1864. Maltby's Brigade, District of Vicksburg, Miss., to June, 1864. 1st Brigade, District of Memphis, Tenn., 16th Army Corps, to August, 1864 (Veterans). 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to December, 1864. Consolidated with 11th Regiment Missouri Infantry December 17, 1864. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain Henry R. Switzer, Captain William A. Taulby - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company B - Captain James H. Coffee, Captain William S. Oliver - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company C - Captain Monroe Harrison, Captain James Sullivan - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company D - Captain Thomas H. Oliver, Captain Edwin Wakefield - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company E - Captain Edward J. Castillo - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company F - Captain William B. Collins, Captain Jesse H. Holmes, Captain Thomas Russell - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company G - Captain Alfred J. Judy, Captain Thomas Wheelan, Captain John W. Watts - enrolled in Sumner. Lawrence County
Company H - Captain William J. Hawkins, Captain Phillip D. Toomes - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company I - Captain Jay J. Drake, Captain John S. C. Rowland - enrolled in Chicago, Cook County
Company K - enrolled in Rolla, Phelps County
The information about the companies and counties is from Kenneth E. Weant's book, Civil War Records, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume 2, Three Year Volunteer Regiments 4-10, (Arlington, Texas: K.E. Weant, c2011), pages 60-75. FHL 977.8 M2wkv v. 2
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Crouch, Jerry Evan. Silencing the Vicksburg guns : the story of the 7th Missouri Infantry Regiment as experience by John Davis Evans, Union private & Mormon pioneer. (Victoria, British Columbia: Trafford, c2005), FHL book 977.8 M2cs
- Pompey, Sherman Lee. Missouri military records regimental histories of Missouri troops, Hickory County heros [sic], : history 7th Regiment Civil War, & partial listing of war veterans buried in Missouri. (Warrensburg, Missouri : Pompey, 1962), FHL book 977.8 M2p.
- This page was last modified on 29 October 2014, at 16:32.
- This page has been accessed 1,259 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page