7th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
7th Regiment, New York Infantry mustered in April 23, 1861. It mustered out May 8, 1863.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 7th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 2 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Clark, Emmons.History of the Seventh Regiment of New York, 1806-1889. (History of the Seventh Regiment of New York, 1806-1889 (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992 FHL Film 6083657 & 6083658
- Hartshorn, Edmund F. Experiences of a boy. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992.) FHL Fiche 6083653
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY.php
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/civil_index.htm citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 7th. Reception by the Seventh Regiment, National Guard, S.N.Y. of its members who have served in the regular and volunteer army and navy of the United States during the Great Rebellion : Academy of Music, January 31st, 1866. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1486480
- This page was last modified on 21 September 2012, at 19:39.
- This page has been accessed 573 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More