80th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 80th Regiment, New York Infantry tendered services to Government February, 1861. It organized at Kingston, N. Y., from 20th Regiment State Militia Infantry and mustered in September 20 to October 20, 1861. The regiment mustered out January 29, 1866.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 80th Regiment Infantry "Ulster Guard" "20th Regiment State Militia Infantry", (accessed 10 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The companies were recruited principally in Ulster County; quite a number of men from the neighboring counties joined the regiment.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Abbey, Henry. The Ulster Guard at Gettysburg on the first three days of July, 1863 : verses read by the author, Henry Abbey. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083767
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 80th (1861-1866). Annual report of the movements, service and discipline of the "Ulster Guard," Twentieth Regiment New York State Militia : 80th N.Y. Vol. Infantry commanded by Colonel Theodore B. Gates, for the year ending December 31, 1862. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083765
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 80th. A Brief history of the movement, operations and casualties of the "Ulster Guard," 20th Regiment N.Y.S. Militia : while in the service of the United States, from April, 1861, to January, 1866, as contained in the fourth annual report of the Bureau of Military Statistics of the state of New York. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c19920, FHL fiche 6083764 and Services at the dedication of the monument of the Twentieth New York State Militia at Gettysburg, Pa., October 4th, 1888. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083766
- Vail, Enos B. Reminiscences of a boy in the Civil War. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083769
- This page was last modified on 10 March 2014, at 20:58.
- This page has been accessed 738 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page