82nd Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis and Camp Emerson and mustered in August 30, 1862. It was ordered to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19 and Grand Review May 24. They mustered out June 9, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 82nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 82nd Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Jefferson and Carroll counties - see Roster on page 323
- Company B - many men from Jennings, and Jackson counties - see Roster on page 324
- Company C - many men from Jefferson and Lawrence counties - see Roster on page 326
- Company D - many men from Brown and Monroe counties - see Roster on page 327
- Company E - many men fromJennings County - see Roster on page 329
- Company F- many men from Monroe County - see Roster on page 330
- Company G - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 332
- Company H - many men from Brown County - see Roster on page 334
- Company I - many men from Owen County - see Roster on page 335
- Company K - many men from Jennings and Jefferson counties - see Roster on page 337
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 338
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 82th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 82nd Regiment, Indiana Ifantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 82nd Indiana Infantry Marker (accessed 07 jan 2011) is located in the northwest section of the Chickamauga National Military Park.
- Hunter, Alfred. History of the Eighty-Second Indiana Volunteer Infantry Its Organization, Campaigns and Battles.( Indianapolis: W.B. Burford, 1893.) VAULT US/CAN Film 1491106 FHL Collection other libraries Google books ancestry.com. $
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 18:21.
- This page has been accessed 2,215 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page