83rd Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Lawrenceburg, Indiana, September 4 to November 5, 1862.
It march to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virgina, April 29-May 20 and Grand Review May 24. They mustered out June 3, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 83rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 83rd Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Ripley County - see Roster on page 339
- Company B - many men from Dearborn and Ohio county - see Roster on page 341
- Company C - many men from Ohio and Switzerland counties - see Roster on page 342
- Company D - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 344
- Company E - many men from Ripley and Decatur counties - see Roster on page 345
- Company F- many men from Ripley Country - see Roster on page 347
- Company G - many men from Ripley County - see Roster on page 348
- Company H - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 350
- Company I - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 351
- Company K - many men fromRipley and Franklin counties - see Roster on page 353
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 354
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 83th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 83rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipendia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 83th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 83th Indiana Infantry monument (accessed 07 Jan 2011) at Vicksbury.
- Grecian, J. (1865). History of the Eighty-Third Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry for three years with Sherman: Compiled from the regimental and company books, and other sources, as well as from the writer's own observations and experience. (Cincinnati: J.F. Ulhorn.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084421 (2 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries Internet Archive
- This page was last modified on 14 March 2014, at 15:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,363 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback