84th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Richmond and Indianapolis, IndIana, and mustered in September 3, 1862. They mustered out June 14, 1865. The Recruits transferred to 57th Indiana Infantry. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 84th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 84th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Randolph County - see Roster on page 356
- Company B - many men from Carroll, Delaware and Vigo counties - see Roster on page 357
- Company C - many men from Wayne and Union counties - see Roster on page 359
- Company D - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 361
- Company E - many men from Randolph County - see Roster on page 362
- Company F- many men from Henry Country - see Roster on page 363
- Company G - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 365
- Company H - many men from Randolph County - see Roster on page 366
- Company I - many men from Wayne, Henry, and Rush counties - see Roster on page 367
- Company K - many men from Blackford and Delaware counties - see Roster on page 369
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 371
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 84th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Company F - many men from Henry County - see Roster
- Company G - many men from Henry County - see Roster
Company F and G of the 84th Infantry was composed of nearly all Henry County volunteers, mostly from Harrison, Henry and Jefferson townships, and a few from Fayette and Wayne counties are on the Company G, 84th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry web site.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief with history of the 84th Regiment, Indiana Intantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 84th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 18:25.
- This page has been accessed 1,589 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki