85th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Terre Haute, Indiana, September 2, 1862. It went to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19 andGrand Review May 24. They mustered out June 12, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 85th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 85th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 372
- Company B - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 373
- Company C - many men from Vigo County - see Roster on page 375
- Company D - many men from Vermillion and Ripley counties - see Roster on page 376
- Company E - many men from Vigo County - see Roster on page 378
- Company F- many men from Vigo and Batholomew counties - see Roster on page 380
- Company G - many men from Vigo County - see Roster on page 381
- Company H - many men from Sullivan County - see Roster on page 383
- Company I - many men from Clay County - see Roster on page 384
- Company K - many men from Greene, Owen, Clay, and Boone counties - see Roster on page 386
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 387
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 85th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 85th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipendia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 85th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Brant, Jefferson E. History of the Eighty-Fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry: Its Organization, Campaigns and Battles. Salem, MA: Higginson, 1998. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084422 (4 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries Internet Archive
- Welcher, Frank J. (Frank Johnson). Coburn's Brigade : 85th Indiana, 33rd Indiana, 19th Michigan, and 22nd Wisconsin in the western Civil War. (Carmel, Indiana : Guild Press of Indiana, c1999), FHL book 973 M2wcb
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:36.
- This page has been accessed 2,272 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More