8th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
8th Infantry Regiment completed its organization in July, 1861, at Jacksonport, Arkansas, with men from the central part of the state. It was consolidated with the 19th (Dawson's) Arkansas Regiment November, 1863. It ended the war in North Carolina. Few surrendered on April 26, 1865. 
See: EDWARD G. GERDES , Arkansas Civil War Regiments, Rosters and Muster Rolls, 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Arkansas in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Arkansas in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ EDWARD G. GERDES , Arkansas Civil War Regiments, Rosters and Muster Rolls, http://www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/8infindx.html.
- This page was last modified on 29 May 2013, at 01:57.
- This page has been accessed 710 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki