8th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, August 20-September 5, 1861. Mustered out August 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 8th Regiment Infantry (3 Years), (accessed 27 May 2012.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 26
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier of Delware County -see Roster on page 110
- Company B - many men from Grant County - see Roster on page 27
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier of Hancock County - see Roster on page 112
- Company C - many men from Randolph County - see Roster on page 28
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier of Wayne County - see Roster on page 114
- Company D - many men from Delware County - see Roster on page 29
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier of Wayne County _ see Roster on page 115
- Company E - many men from Madison County - see Roster on page 31
- Company E - Reorganized Soldier of Henry County - see Roster on page 117
- Company F - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 32
- Company F - Reorganized Soldier of Wabash County - see Roster on page 119
- Company G - many men from Hancock County - see Roster on page 33
- Company G - Reorganized Soldier of Randolph, Hancock, Fountain and Allen counties - see Roster on page 121
- Company H - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 34
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier of Grant and Marion country Roster on page 122
- Company I - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 35
- Company I - Reorganized Soldier of Wabash, Dearborn, and Miami counties - see Roster on page 124
- Company K - many men from Wabash County - see Roster on page 36
- Company K - Reorganized Soldier from Madison County - see Roster on page 126
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 128
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 6th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 8th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 30 Dec 2010) articile on the 8th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana.
- 8th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- Bigelow, James K. Abridged History of the Eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry From Its Organization, April 21st, 1861, to the Date of Re-Enlistment As Veterans, January 1, 1864. (Indianapolis: E. Barnes, Book and job printer, 1864. ) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084368 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other library Google books
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Indiana in the Civil War" in "Military Matters" Chapter 16 of Weesner, Clarkson W. History of Wabash County, Indiana: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Its Principal Interests. (Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co, 2008.), (page 263), 977.283 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries Vol.1 INTERNET ARCHIVE Vol. 2
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2013, at 17:33.
- This page has been accessed 2,807 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More