8th Regiment, Michigan CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 8th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry was organized at Mt. Clemens, Michigan, December 30, 1862 to May 2, 1863. It was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee on September 22, 1865.
- For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the Civil War Website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Civil War Archive section, 8th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 12 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Michigan, Adjutant Generals Office and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Eighth Cavalry]" (Lansing, Michigan: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). FHL Fiche 6084615 . Other Libraries.
- Seeking Michigan website. Gives History of the 8th Regiment Michigan Cavalry. Some Photos and other documents. (Accessed June 29, 2011)
- Wells, James M. "With Touch of Elbow; Or, Death Before Dishonor; a Thrilling Narrative of Adventure on Land and Sea" (Philadelphia: J.C. Winston Co, 1909). Digital Copy. Digital Copy. FHL Fiche 6084616. Other Libraries
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2014, at 21:45.
- This page has been accessed 1,363 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback