8th Regiment, South Carolina ReservesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 8th Regiment, South Carolina Reserves was one of ten regiments of the 1st Corps of Reserves. It was also called the Pet Lambs and the Bloody Eighth. See Robert S. Seigler's book for more detail. The 8th Regiment was mustered in on November 4, 1862 and mustered out of service on February 3, 1863.
Joseph H. Crute, Jr.'s book, "Units of the Confederate States Army", contains no history for this unit. This regiment most likely transferred into another regiment or was combined with another regiment to create a new regiment, or is another name for an existing regiment. Looking at the service records of the soldiers may give clues to the different regiments they may have served in.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- "South Carolina Reserve Regiments". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson’s Internet site, accessed 12/27/2010. This website lists the dates.
- "8th Infantry Regiment Reserves". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/22/2010. Lists a few resources. It also states the 'the composite roster contains 425 names. The regiment was also referred to as Stalling's Regiment.
- "8th South Carolina Reserves Jun 1862 - Jan 1863". Internet site, accessed 12/28/2010. Lists dates and officers and counties.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Lists a few officers and some company names.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army as their main source for the regiment history.FHL book 973 M2crua, WorldCat.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 173-175. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Battalion served with.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "8th South Carolina Reserves Jun 1862 - Jan 1863". Internet site, accessed 12/28/2010. Lists dates and officers and counties.
- ↑ "South Carolina Reserve Regiments". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson’s Internet site, accessed 12/27/2010. This website lists the dates.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011). Joseph H. Crute. Units of the Confederate States Army. (Midlothian, Virginia : Derwent Books, c1987).FHL book 973 M2crua.
- This page was last modified on 10 January 2013, at 02:55.
- This page has been accessed 537 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki