8th Regiment, West Virginia InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 8th Regiment, West Virginia Infantry organized in the Kanawha Valley in the fall of 1861 with volunteers from Boone, Clay, Fayette, Jackson, Kanawha, Raleigh, Wyoming, Putnam, Mason, Logan and Braxton Counties. On January 26, 1864, the unit designation was changed to 7th Regiment, West Virginia Cavalry. It mustered out August 1, 1865.
"Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'West Virginia in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- West Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for West Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- ↑ Ronald R. Turner, "7th West Virginia Cavalry", (Manassas, Virginia : R.R. Turner, c1989), FHL US/CAN 975.4 M2t
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- This page was last modified on 12 March 2013, at 17:01.
- This page has been accessed 274 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More